Archive for Axis & Allies ForuMINI Specialised in the World War II Axis & Allies Miniatures and War At Sea Games
 


       Axis & Allies ForuMINI Forum Index -> Naval Modelling
Admiral Ting

Admiral Ting's Shapeways Hiryu and Hyuga

Spent a whole night painting three of my recent shapeways purchase and here are the final products:




Hyuga 1941, Hiryu 1941 (Pearl Harbour Attack) and Ise 1941.




I never like the Wotc Set V Ise. I hate the ugly miniature of Ise, and I am not a fan of the hybrid BB/CV. I prefer the BB version so when 'Set A' came out and Shapeways Hyuga became available, I didn't hesitate to buy two Hyuga so as to present the two BB of the Ise class. I painted them using Tamiya Dark Sea Grey and Deck Tan. I firstly chose the IJN Grey (Kure and Sasebo) but found that these two are far too blackish/greyish compared to Wotc colours. I always try to make my models look compatible with Wotc ones so I choose dark sea grey. Now my Hyuga and Ise look more similar in colour with Flank Speed Nagato.












Shapeways Hiryu. To be honest, I will never forgive Mr Barker for not including IJN Hiryu into the last set (we know even in his planned last set, the Set VII, he will not put Hiryu in). I have owned both the Takara 1/2000 Hiryu and the F toys 1/2000 Hiryu, but they are all smaller than the Wotc miniatures. I had also conversed a Soryu into Hiryu several weeks ago but still, it looks ugly than the real Hiryu. So I finally decided to order a Hiryu from Shapeways.

Indeed, I have spent considerable time (at least 2.5 hours?) in painting this famous CV of IJN. I should have chosen the Frosen Detail. Instead, I choose the normal WSF. So the concave shape of the three elevators are barely visible. I have to paint them using my imagnation. I was not able to paint the red sun symbol of its Midway 1942 style because I knew that I would not paint the round shape as perfect as it should be. So I choose to paint its 1941 Pearl Harbour Attack style with traditional three lines. I found it is much more challenging than Ranger and Shinano: Hiryu is much slim in size so the white lines are slimmer. It was a nightmare to paint them. Now I cannot even believe that I finally done it. I wish some companys can make some decals for these shapeways carriers, that will be a gift from heaven I think.
Shinnentai

Good work, Ting - that was a night's painting well spent I think! The carrier lines came out very well and you obviously did a good job on the elevators as I didn't realise there were any problems until I read your notes.
Brigman

Ting, your minis look amazing.  I have a couple Hyugas to paint still - just been too busy.  I painted a Hiryu for Doberman and still have one to paint on my own.

I was able to find a nice decal for the meatball / rising sun by buying a 1/144 Zero and using the wing decals.  Worked great!
nrnstraswa

Great work!
Hap Hapablap

Fantastic work Adm. Ting! 2.5 hours for Hiryu?? That's it?? Looks like you spent quite a bit of time on it. Impressive  Smile
danaussie

Yeah nice one mate, you've been busy lately, not an easy job by any stretch but fantastic work on all of them.

Dan Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy
SWO_Daddy

Fantastic job!
Sir_Valentine

Man your getting good at painting, love it.
Admiral Ting

I am still trying to find a suitable brand of matt varnish. I had used Tamiya XF86 Flat clear and its spray counterpart. The XF 86 ends with a bit coarse surface, while the spray version will easily ruin the thin white lines on the flight deck. I had also tried Revell Matt and its enamel version, both are not quite good. So perhaps next time I will try Vallejo?
Admiral Ting

Shinnentai wrote:
Good work, Ting - that was a night's painting well spent I think! The carrier lines came out very well and you obviously did a good job on the elevators as I didn't realise there were any problems until I read your notes.


Hi shin, I noticed on the shapeways website that your Hiryu is the Frosen Details one. Its elevators are clearly visible. I really have no idea what are the differences between WSF and FD (except for the different price). Is the Frosen Detail means a better material and more details than the WSF?? They are much more expensive than WSF.
Shinnentai

Admiral Ting wrote:

Hi shin, I noticed on the shapeways website that your Hiryu is the Frosen Details one. Its elevators are clearly visible. I really have no idea what are the differences between WSF and FD (except for the different price). Is the Frosen Detail means a better material and more details than the WSF?? They are much more expensive than WSF.

Hmm, I think others will be better judges of the differences in detail between the materials, as I've only ever ordered one model in WSF which was the Shinano. It might just be that you were unlucky with that particular printing.

I think I'm right in saying that FD is capable of showing up smaller details than WSF. Mostly I prefer FD because I find it easier to smooth down the surfaces with a knife than with WSF.

Most people prefer WSF because it's less fragile than FD. It's also cheaper and people have reported FD models warping (fortunately this hasn't affected me so far).
Admiral Ting

Shinnentai wrote:
Admiral Ting wrote:

Hi shin, I noticed on the shapeways website that your Hiryu is the Frosen Details one. Its elevators are clearly visible. I really have no idea what are the differences between WSF and FD (except for the different price). Is the Frosen Detail means a better material and more details than the WSF?? They are much more expensive than WSF.

Hmm, I think others will be better judges of the differences in detail between the materials, as I've only ever ordered one model in WSF which was the Shinano. It might just be that you were unlucky with that particular printing.

I think I'm right in saying that FD is capable of showing up smaller details than WSF. Mostly I prefer FD because I find it easier to smooth down the surfaces with a knife than with WSF.

Most people prefer WSF because it's less fragile than FD. It's also cheaper and people have reported FD models warping (fortunately this hasn't affected me so far).


Mmm, perhaps i am unlucky. My Kaga 1930 version (in WSF) also comes warping (the right back part of the flight deck, about 1cm in length). I guess it is the inevitable printing issue. The degree of 'sandy' surface also varies. Of my first order, all are relatively less sandy. However, my second order comes with several extra sandy items.
Brigman

Ting, when working with WSF, I've found these steps help tremendously with the "sandy" surface.

1. Wash the mini to clear away excess powder
2. Base coat in a thin coat of grey
3. Apply a thin coat of gloss varnish and let dry
4. Apply another thin coat of gloss varnish and let dry
5. Apply another thin base coat and paint from there.

Regarding FD, if warped, it can be soaked in very hot water and bent back into shape gently.  If you glue it to a stand or use a bit of strip styrene on the underside, it is less likely to 'rebound' to its warped state.

Hope that helps!
gvwalker

I'm impressed. You got such an excellent result on all three of those in only one night?
I take my hat off to you Ting, masterful painting indeed.
Piper

Agreed, they look EXCELLENT!

Whose model did you use?
gaz01

Great work!

I too painted my Hyuga in the darker grey as i did not have the lighter grey at the time, it's almost a black and very close to the colour of the camo on the set 1 Scharnhorst. I guess i'll just have to paint a couple of others the same, then they might become invisible for the night battles!
Admiral Ting

Piper wrote:
Agreed, they look EXCELLENT!

Whose model did you use?


The hiryu is from a producer called 'matt_atknsn' and the two Hyugas are from 'squit181'. I noticed other different versions but after some comparison I chose current versions. There is no finished product photo for another version of hiryu so I choose the 'matt' one. I don't like extra detailed version of another Ise/Hyuga. My principle is: painting shapeways models in such a way that make them look compatible with other WotC miniatures. The WotC miniatures are lacking some details (especially with regard to the deck details), so I always prefer clear and simple models, not those extra details one like the Shapeways Texas (too much detail on the deck, and also cause difficulties in painting).
Piper

Admiral Ting wrote:
Piper wrote:
Agreed, they look EXCELLENT!

Whose model did you use?


The hiryu is from a producer called 'matt_atknsn' and the two Hyugas are from 'squit181'. I noticed other different versions but after some comparison I chose current versions. There is no finished product photo for another version of hiryu so I choose the 'matt' one. I don't like extra detailed version of another Ise/Hyuga. My principle is: painting shapeways models in such a way that make them look compatible with other WotC miniatures. The WotC miniatures are lacking some details (especially with regard to the deck details), so I always prefer clear and simple models, not those extra details one like the Shapeways Texas (too much detail on the deck, and also cause difficulties in painting).

Oh, ok.  They're good models, I like them.  Squint's Hyugas are cheaper than the other ones too, since they don't have the whole rotating turret assembly.
       Axis & Allies ForuMINI Forum Index -> Naval Modelling
Page 1 of 1